NAER was established in 2011, after the merging five other major educational institutes, including:
- National Institute for Compilation and Translation, founded in 1932.
- National Institute of Educational Resources and Research, founded in 1956.
- Taiwan Provincial Institute for Elementary School Teachers In-service Education, founded in 1956.
- Taiwan Provincial Training & Development Institute for Secondary School Teachers, founded in 1987.
- National Academy for Educational Research Preparatory Office, founded in 2000.
- National Academy for Educational Research, founded in 2011.
Today it has three campuses: our headquarters in Sanxia, the Taipei branch, and the Taichung branch.